few days ago I read an article by Thomas Baiget referred to the information services of libraries and the very majority opinion of librarians that library services in general must be free. And Thomas Baiget argued that this position was that public libraries (all types) acted as a monopoly that stifled any private business initiative seeking to implement documentation services to other companies.
certainly seemed like a reflection interesting about free or free services offered by public libraries. In Spain, it has clearly chosen the gratuity. But we know that other countries, particularly whites, have preferred to have an impact on users of the cost of services.
All this leads me to wonder: Does the free of charge is inherent to the public?
With little to think, I conclude that no . For example, we can all agree that local transport services are a public service. But we can think of anyone entering a city bus without paying previously the ticket.
If this is the case with municipal transport, why not be like with libraries?
Yes, I know, users already pay their taxes libraries and culture and information is a social right. But is less and less social duty collection and treatment of waste, or municipal water service? The citizens pay their taxes and, separately, also with additional regular rates.
still do not want to say whether or not I am in favor of charges are made for library services, I will not give clues. But just wanted to make one last question, do you think we value enough the public (in general) or, on the contrary, we have it in very low esteem?
I hope you interested in this subject and that you participate with your comments. Until the next post. Greetings.
still do not want to say whether or not I am in favor of charges are made for library services, I will not give clues. But just wanted to make one last question, do you think we value enough the public (in general) or, on the contrary, we have it in very low esteem?
I hope you interested in this subject and that you participate with your comments. Until the next post. Greetings.
0 comments:
Post a Comment